Hartselle track brings home four state titlesPublished 1:00pm Monday, May 7, 2012
Special to the Enquirer
Hartselle traveled to the Class 4A-5A Alabama State Track and Field meet in Gulf Shores this weekend and came home with four three girls state championships and one boys state championship.
Quanesha Burks won state championships in both 100m (12.11) and the 200m (24.88) dahses. She was the runner-up in the long jump with a distance of 17-10.75. She finished second as well in the triple jump with the distance of 38-09.50. In both events she lost to St. Paul’s Lacey Dent, who also set a new state record in the triple jump.
The Lady Tigers had a near sweep in the javelin. Jessica Matthews won the state championship with a throw of 116-04. Ashton Pennington followed in second with a throw of 105-11. Savannah Holmes took fourth with her throw of 101-11.
On the boys side, Jordan Frazier won the state championship in the 300m hurdles with the time of 40.06. He also finished fifth in the 110m with a time of 15.37 and was 15th in the triple jump, gaining 15th place.
The girls team finished tied for third with John Carroll. St. Paul’s took first place followed by Scottsboro.
Other top performers for the girls were as follows:
• The girls 4x800m relay of Haley Baker, Jessica Hickerson, Reagan Bowling, and Mallory Faulkner finished seventh with a time of 11:00.99.
• Kelsey Rae Walling and Elizabeth Russell finished seventh (7-6) and ninth place (J7-6) in the pole vault.
• The girls 4x400m relay consisted of Haley Baker, Jessica Hickerson, Reagan Bowling, and Billie Shelton. They finished 19th with the time of 4:36.17.
Shelby Kaup finished fifth in the high jump with a height of 4-10.
• Reagan Bowling was 18th with a time of 2:37.04 in the 800m.
• Taylor Barnett finished 19th in the 3,200m run with a time of 13:22.19.
• Billie Shelton was 23rd in 100m hurdles prelimnaries and 19th in the 300m hurdles with a time of 52.06.
Other top boys peformers were as follows:
• Hunter Grantland finished 12th in the 100m dash with a time of 11.21.
D’Andre Mack was 17th in the triple jump.
• Mason McGee was 20th in the 110m hurdles.
• Jonathan Duncan was fourth in the 3,200 meters with 10:17:11, 16th in the 800m run and 21st in the 1,600 meters.
• John Paulsen finished 15th in the in the 800m run.
• The boys 4x400m relay Steven Cleek, Hunter Grantland, Jordan Frazier and Jonathan Duncan was 18th place.
• The boys 4x100m relay of Jaylan Jackson, Ja’mal Jackson, D’Andre Mack and Hunter Grantland finished 14th with the time of 44.30.