Commission approves bridge replacement fundsPublished 12:05pm Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Two more of Morgan County’s outdated bridges have moved a step closer to being replaced.
The Morgan County Commission approved funding for Gum Springs Road and West Lacon Road bridge projects at its regular meeting Tuesday morning.
Funds totaling $561,578.77 were approved for the Gum Springs project, with $449,263,03 coming from the state and $112,315.75 coming from District 2.
The West Lacon project received funds totaling $401,702.82, of which $321,362.56 will be provided by the state and $80,340.56 will come from District 3.
Morgan County Engineer Greg Bodley said both projects are scheduled to be bid later this month with the likelihood that construction will begin in October.
In other matters the commission acted as follows:
• Authorized the chairman to execute a contract with Delta Computer Systems for computer software support in the amount of $890 per month, effective Oct. 1, 2012,
• Authorized $196,025 as a local match for capital, administrative and operations expenditures for a Section 5311 non-unbanized area public transportation program in fiscal year 2013.
•Authorized the chairman to execute the renewal of a self-insured medical stop loss with Lloyd’s of London for a specific stop loss of $75,000 and a $30,000 agregating specific deductible for employee’s health insurance, effective Aug. 1, 2012, through July 31, 2013.
• Set a public meeting on July 17 at 6 p.m. in the Commission Board Rood to discuss the Jail Annex.
•Authorized the chairman to enter into a contract with McKey & Associates to prepare drawings for a concession stand at Brindlee Mountain Park in District 4.
• Authorized the chairman to enter into a contract with Goodwyn, Mills and Cawood to preparing drawings for a senior center at Union Hill in District 4.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing Morgan County employees to volunteer for a 32-hour workweek for one year for budgetary purposes subject to department head approval.
•Approved payment of $3,778.50 to Harris, Caddell & Shanks P.C. for legal services provided during the month of June.
• Approved payment of $7,034.75 to Travelers Insurance for legal services resulting from claims filed against the commission by Dentariuous Jackson (sheriff).
•Approved payment of $11,631.55 to Trident Insurance for legal services resulting from claims filed against the commission by Doug Key (sheriff), $8,695.50 and Glenda Lockhart (sheriff), $2,936.05.