Sales Tax Holiday begins FridayPublished 3:33pm Thursday, August 2, 2012
Alabama will hold its seventh annual sales tax holiday, beginning Fri., Aug. 3, at 12:01 a.m. and ending Sun., Aug. 5, at midnight, giving shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain school supplies, computers and clothing free of state sales tax.
All municipalities in Morgan County except Priceville have joined the state for the state sales tax holiday.
Here is a list of exempt items under $100:
- Gym Suits
- School Uniforms
Also include in the sales tax holiday are the following computer items up to $750:
- Computers – For purposes of the exemption, a computer may include a laptop, desktop, or tower computer system which consists of a central processing unit (CPU), and devices such as a display monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers sold as a computer package. Computer parts and devices not sold as part of a package with the CPU, will not qualify for the exemption.
- Computer Software
- School Computer Supplies – An item commonly used by a student in a course of study in which a computer is used – All inclusive list includes: Computer Storage Media; diskettes, compact disks; Handheld electronic schedulers, except devices that are cellular phones; Personal digital assistants, except devices that are cellular phones; Computer Printers; Printer Supplies for Computers (printer paper, printer ink)
School supply items are as follows less than $50:
- School supplies – All Inclusive List: Binders, Blackboard Chalk, Book Bags, Calculators, Cellophane Tape, Compasses, Composition Books, Crayons, Erasers, Folders (expandable, pocket, plastic & manila), Glue, paste, and paste sticks, Highlighters, Index Cards, Index Card Boxes, Legal Pads, Lunch Boxes, Markers, Notebooks, Paper (loose leaf ruled notebook, paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board, and construction paper), Pencil Boxes & Other School Supply Boxes, Pencil Sharpeners, Pencils, Pens, Protractors, Rulers, Scissors and Writing Tablets
- School Art Supplies – All Inclusive List: Clay & Glazes Paints (Acrylic, Tempora & Oil) Paintbrushes for artwork, Sketch and Drawing Pads and Watercolors
- School instructional material – All Inclusive List: (Written material commonly used by a student in a course of study as a reference and to learn the subject being taught) Reference Maps and Globes, Required Textbooks on an official school book list with a sales price of more than $30 and less than $50.
Books with a sales price of $30 or less, per book (Noncommercial Purchases). The term book is defined as a set of printed sheets bound together and published in a volume with an ISBN number.