County Commission declares Fall CleanupPublished 10:37am Thursday, August 30, 2012
The Morgan County Commission designated the week of Oct. 1-6 as “Fall Cleanup” in Morgan County at its regular meeting on Aug. 28.
During this time, the Decatur-Morgan County Landfill will accept old appliances, home furnishings and other household trash from county residents at no charge. At the same time commissioners in Districts 2,3,and 4 will provide large open containers at their workshops for the disposal of trash during weekday operations. All four district workshops will be open to accept trash from 7 to 11 a.m. on Sat., Oct. 6.
District 4 Commissioner Greg Abercrombie pointed out that shops will be closed on Fri., Oct. 5, and advised residents to keep that in mind when making plans to bring trash for disposal.
In anther matter, the commission authorized District 2 Commissioner Randy Vest to donate $1,000 to the Danville High School FFA Chapter, payable out of his Road and Bridge Fund.
Vest explained that the money will be used to help finance a trip to Indianapolis, Ind. for the school’s three state championship FFA team to compete on the national level.
“It’s highly unusual for one school to have three national championship contenders,” Vest pointed out. “That’s a credit to our county and state and we wish them the very best.”
The commission acted on other matters as follows:
• Rejected all bids received for the printing and mailing of renewal notices for the Morgan County License Department and authorized the chairman to re-bid.
• Approved a resolution designating the Probate Judge as the administrator for purposes of the security policy of the Alabama Voter Registration and Election management System and to further designate the Morgan County Board of Registrars and Kathy Austin, administrative assistant, as Morgan County users who may access the system for purposes of maintaining and updating the street files and precinct designations.
• Authorized the chairman to execute the Federal FY 2012 EMPG Funding Cooperative Agreement with the State of Alabama Emergency Management Agency in the amount of $61,213.00, effective Oct. 1, 2011, through May 31, 2013.
• Authorized the chairman to execute the Cooperative Agreement with the State of Alabama Homeland Security Grant Program for the CZC Grant in the amount of $1,184.34, effective Aug. 1, 2009, through Sept. 20, 2012.
• Authorized the chairman to execute the Cooperative Agreement with the State of Alabama Homeland Security Grant Program amending the 2010 CCL Grant in the amount of $1,184.34 for a total of $23,015.66. effective Sept. 30, 2012, through July 31, 2012.
• Authorized the chairman to extend the cleaning contract for the Farm Services Building to Keep It Clean Janitorial Services at the same pricing, terms and conditions, effective Oct. 1, 2012 through Sept. 30, 2013.
• Authorized the chairman to execute the agreement between the Morgan County Area Transportation System and the Morgan County Commission on Aging to provide transportation services, effective Oct. 1, 2012 through Sept. 30, 2013.
• Approved a refund of sales tax to Blockbuster LLC for the month of July, 2011, in the amount of $567.33.
• Approved a refund of mortgage tax to Tammy Morris in the amount of $873.24 per order of the Alabama Department of Revenue.
• Authorized the chairman to enter into an agreement with System of Services (Hands Home) to utilize their Section 5309 funding in the amount of $50,000 and for MCATS to provide matching funds for vehicle purchases.
• Approved a certificate to subdivide property for Jay Phillips, Upscomb Rd., Dist. 4.
•Appointed Chad Brooks to the North East Morgan Water Authority to fill the unexpired term of Bobby Taylor who resigned. The term expires Mar. 12, 2013.
• Approved payment of $1,925.93 to Trident Insurance for legal services relating to a claim filed against the Morgan County Commission by Maurice L. Thompson (probate).
• Approved payment of $13,100 to Godwin, Barnett, Woods Architects for architectural services for the Morgan County Jail Annex, payable out of the General Fund.