Dellinger tops area teamPublished 12:08pm Thursday, January 3, 2013
Enquirer announces 2012 All-Area Volleyball Team
Taylor Dellinger may have been with the Hartselle Lady Tigers volleyball team for only one season, but she made it count.
She was one of the key players in Hartselle’s first ever state volleyball championship, as they finally were able to defeat No. 1 St. Paul’s in the finals.
Dellinger has been named the 2012 Hartselle Enquirer Volleyball Player of the Year.
Dellinger’s family moved from Michigan to Hartselle prior to the 2012-2013 school year. And the sophomore made a huge impact immediately.
She finished the season with 593 kills, 489 digs, 74 blocks and 66 aces.
A few days after the Lady Tigers’ victory, however, Dellinger learned that her family would be moving back to Michigan by the end of the year.
But she will forever be connected with her friends and teammates to Hartselle’s first state championship season.
The following players have been named to the Hartselle Enquirer’s all-area volleyball first team:
• Sydni Shelton, Danville – soph., OH: Player of the Year finalist. Shelton probably did the most with the least experienced team surrounding her. She finished with a .391 hitting percentage, 729 kills, 385 digs, 53 aces and 22 assists. “It would have been easy for her to get frustrated with our inexperienced players. But instead of feeling sorry for herself, she looked at this season as an opportunity,” said DHS coach Spencer Cole.
• Cheyenne Mclemore, Brewer – OH/DS: Player of the Year finalist. Her set average was with three kills, 1.5 aces, 5.25 digs and 1 assist. She finished with a hitting percentage of .320. “In my opinion, she may be the best all around player in the county,” said BHS coach Ron Smith.
• Taylor Lybarger, Hartselle – junior, hitter: She finished with 428 kills, 606 digs, 65 aces, 38 blocks and 38 assists.
• Melissa Paul Hill, Hartselle – setter, junior: She finished with 1,272 assists, 295 digs, 120 kills, 84 aces and 41 blocks.
• Riley Northway, Brewer – jr., middle hitter: She averaged 3.75 kills, 2.5 blocks, 1 ace per set and had a hitting percentage of .408.
• Kayla Parton Priceville – jr., libero: She finished with a serving percentage of 91 percent (275/303) and 616 digs (team leader).
The following players have been named to the Hartselle Enquirer’s all-area volleyball second team: Haley Jared, Hartselle; Sarah Ellen Battles, Hartselle; Savana Flack, Brewer; Amber Riddle, Falkville; Elizabeth Davis, Falkville; Peyton Parker, Priceville; Alison Varner, Priceville; Charlee Anderson, Danville; Megan Luker, Danville.
Those named as honorable mention are as follows:
• Brewer – Shelby Dooley and Reed Sowder.
• Falkville – Patricia Kilgore, Emily Mickelson, Amanda Muse, Sydney Moore and Tiana Drinkard.
• Danville – Kellee Stiles
• Priceville – Emilee Cunningham and Emily Williams.