Burks sets state record in preliminariesPublished 9:58pm Friday, February 1, 2013
Quanesha Burks of Hartselle and Brianna Sims of Ramsay set up what could be one of Saturday’s most exciting finals with each recording record times in the 60-meter dash prelims at the AHSAA State Indoor Track Meet at the Birmingham Crossplex.
Burks broke the record of 7.83 seconds set by Northridge’s Laquinta Aaron in 2007 with a Friday time of 7.75. Sims also bested Aaron’s mark with a 7.78 time.
Here are the other results from Friday:
• Hartselle’s Reagan Bowling came in 11th overall in the 800 meters with a time of 2:38. Abigail Davis of Hartselle finished 15th.
• James Glenn finished 10th in the boys shot with a throw of 41-5.5 while Theron Locke was 24th with an effort of 28-10.
• Evan Root and John Peoples, both of Hartselle, were 21st and 23rd overall in the boys long jump.
• Falkville’s Kyle Clay just missed scoring team points in the pole vault. He was tenth with a jump of 9-0.
• Heather Smith of Falkville was ninth in the 1A-4A girls pole vault with a jump of 7-0.
• Drake Hamilton and Austin Wilhite, both of Falkville, finished 23rd and 34th respectively in the boys 3,200 meters.
• Taylor Barnett of Hartselle scored team points with a seventh place finish in the girls 3,200 meters. He had a time of 13:42.39. Ivy Buchanan was 12th with a time of 16:02.17.
• Aaron Davis of Hartselle was 12th in the boys 3,200 meters with a time of 11:20.78. Alex Wilt was 17th.
• Drake Hamilton of Falkville took 26th in the boys 800 meters.
• Hartselle’s Chase Barrett and John Paulsen were 14th and 15th respectively in the boys 800 meters with times 2:14.89 and 2:16.10.
• Falkville’s girls 4×200 relay was 11th with a time of 2:06.84.
• Hartselle’s boys 4×800 relay got the Tigers on the board in the team scoring with an eighth place finish. The time was 1:37.46.