Archived Story

FHS falls to Lexington in final game

Published 11:16am Monday, February 4, 2013

Lauren Estes
Special to the Enqurier 

The regular season ended for the Blue Devils on Thursday as both teams were defeated by Lexington, the boys 51-24, and the girls lost 56-28. The boys finished with a 8-14 record and the girls managed 17-4 on the season.

The Blue Devils will play Meek at Decatur Heritage on Friday at 6:30, while the Lady Devils will host the area tournament on Thursday 7 p.m. agains the St. Bernard/Meek winner.

Danville teams defeat Falkville

Lead changes in the first quarter proved to be the Morgan County rivalry of Falkville and Danville schools.

FHS lead until seconds before the halftime buzzer, going into intermission down 24-23 to the Hawks.

After halftime, Danville went on a 7-0 and holding the Lady Devils to only scoring five points in the third quarter, going into the fourth up 37-28.

An Amanda Muse three late in the fourth gave the thought of a Falkville comeback on the Hawks, but FHS quickly found themselves in foul trouble with two players fouling out back to back. Emily Mickelson led in scoring with eight points for Falkville and seven rebounds.

The Lady Devils fought but came up short falling to Danville 45-35.

Other scorers include: Autumn Eddy with seven points, Sydney Moore finished with six, both Amanda Muse and Makenzie Smith finished with five points, and Lizzie Davis had four on the night.

The Blue Devils also had a close game with the Hawks, Falkville losing 64-61. Danville lead the first quarter 17-15, but FHS’s Canaan Smith was a big portion of their scoring with nine points in the first period.

Outscoring Falkville 18-12 in the second quarter, the Devils went into halftime down 35-27.

Nearly even scoring (12-11) in the third made way for FHS to stay in the game finishing the third behind 47-38 to Danville.

The fourth quarter was a rival quarrel. Six Falkville players scored and managed 23 points in the final period, outscoring Danville by six points. Two “And one’s” three- point plays by Caleb Anders and Aaron Estes cut the Danville lead to six. With 9.2 seconds left on the clock Travis Cole hit a three, cutting the edge 63-61. FHS then forced to foul, the Hawks found themselves on the free throw line and connected one of their free throws extending the lead by three. A miscommunication in the final seconds of the game took away the chance for a three-point shot and the Blue Devils would come up short 64-61.

Editor's Picks