Archived Story

ATRIP to fund 5 local projects

Published 1:20pm Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ATRIP (Alabama Transportation, Rehabilitation and Improvement Program) funds totaling nearly $10 million have been approved for four bridge replacements and two road resurfacing projects in Morgan County.

Awards were announced Jan. 29 by Governor Robert Bentley.

Federal funds will cover 80 percent of project costs while the remaining 20 percent will be covered by local funding.

Projects approved for Morgan County are: replacement of the bridge on Vaughn Bridge Road at Flint Creek, $4 million total cost; replacement of bridge on Kirby Bridge Road at the West fork of Flint Creek, $4 million total cost; and replacement of bridge on Rescue Road at Kid Creek near Morgan City, $375,000 total cost.

In a previous ATRIP funding cycle, bridge replacement projects on Danville and Wilhite Roads were approved. Design work and right-of-way acquisitions have been completed and bid letting is expected in the March-April time frame, according to Morgan County Engineer Greg Bodley.

Bodley said design and right-of-way acquisition are in progress on the Vaughn Bridge, Kirby Bridge and Rescue Road projects.

“All of these bridges are outdated and need to be replaced, “Bodley pointed out. “This funding is going to enable us to catch up on getting them replaced in three to four years. Otherwise, we could be waiting up to 30 years to accomplish the same thing if we had to rely solely on local funding.”

Bodley said the bridges would be steel-reinforced concrete structures that offer wider, safer passage for motorists.

Other projects approved were: resurface Moulton Street, Old Moulton Road and 12th Ave. SW in Decatur, $645,000 total cost; Resurface Old Hwy. 24 from Woodall Road to West town limits in Trinity, 560,000; and bridge replacement at Cave Springs Road over Ginhouse Branch in Priceville, $400,000 total cost.

 

Editor's Picks