Fire guts mobile homePublished 4:36pm Monday, February 18, 2013
A grease fire at 819 Halbrooks Road in Hartselle caused heavy damage to a 65-foot manufactured home at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Monday.
Owner David Burns said he inadvertently left something cooking on his stove while he stepped outside to talk to his sister, who had arrived for a visit. A short time later, they noticed smoke seeping through cracks around the kitchen door and called 911.
“He (David) tried to enter the door but couldn’t because the smoke was so thick,” his sister said. “Everything he owned is inside. I just hope the contents can be saved.”
Hartselle firefighters fought the blaze with three engine companies and were able to bring it under control after about 30 minutes.