Reed to recommend principal for intermediate schoolPublished 12:51pm Thursday, April 4, 2013
Hartselle School Superintendent Dr. Mike Reed said he is planning to recommend a candidate to be the principal at the new Hartselle Intermediate School, which will open this fall.
Reed said he narrowed the list of 57 applicants to a group of 12 candidates, eight of which were from Hartselle or Morgan County, based the qualifications in their résumés.
“We formed a committee from teachers and parents to help with the selection process,” Reed said. “I interviewed each candidate and the committee took notes. I’m hoping to make a recommendation to the board at their next meeting on April 15.”
Candidates for the position include:
• High school guidance counselor and athletic director Johnny Berry
• HHS baseball assistant coach and math teacher Bryant Whitlock.
• Hartselle Transition Administrator for Secondary Schools Lee Anne Pettey
• F.E. Burleson guidance counselor Debra Harvel
• HJHS science teacher Shane Russell
• FEB reading coach Tina Towers
• Brewer High School assistant principal Jill Jones, who is the daughter of board member Venita Jones
• Eva School principal Patrick Patterson
• Haleyville Elementary principal Susan Riggs
• Oneonta Elementary principal Leslie Russell
• Glenn Bryant, principal at Chapman Schools in Huntsville
• Terry Graff, director of alternative programs for Glynn County Public Schools.
“I think we had a great group of applicants,” Reed said. “We selected the local candidates based on whether they had any assistant principal experience. The four from outside the county all had experience as a principal.”
Reed said the new school will house about 500 students when it opens.