Ga. man tapped for intermediate schoolPublished 12:24pm Wednesday, April 17, 2013
The Hartselle Board appointed Terry Graff to the first principal at the new Hartselle Intermediate School.
“He is a very impressive man and his references really checked out and they very complimentary of him,” Superintendent Dr. Mike Reed said.
Graff was selected over a number of candidates including several from the school system. Reed said Graff could not attend Monday’s board meeting because his son was signing a swimming scholarship with Georgia Tech.
Graff is currently in charge of the alternative high school for the Glynn County School System in Brunswick, Ga.
He will be retiring from that system, as will his wife who is a high school math teacher. He has served as a high school principal, junior high principal and junior high assistant principal as well as a classroom teacher.
He is originally from Huntsville and his parents still reside there. He holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of South Alabama, master’s degree from Georgia State University and a specialist degree from the University of Southern Mississippi.
Reed said Graff would report for duty in early June with his contract beginning July 1.
Jim Maynard of Martin & Cobey Construction said that sod is will be laid all week and the grounds will soon have a finished product look according to Maynard.
Two tennis courts have been paved and two more need paving. The track requires surfacing and construction on the field house continues. The lights for the auditorium could possibly be in Friday or Saturday of this week and will then be installed. He expects all work to be completed other than the field house for the open house scheduled for April 28.
In other action the board:
- donated 11 kindergarten wooden tables to the Hartselle Fine Arts Center
- approved a request to dispose of eighty-seven badly damaged student desks and twenty-seven student chairs
- approved a request for the varsity and junior varsity girls basketball teams to attend an out-of-state basketball camp at Middle Tennessee State University, in Murfreesboro, Tenn., on June 16-18.
- approved the use of school facilities for Hartselle Area Chamber of Commerce to use the new high school cafeteria for the annual awards dinner on Tues., April 30; Hartselle girls basketball teams to use high school facilities for their annual individual basketball camp on May 28-30; Hartselle girls basketball to use the high school facilities for a basketball play day fundraiser on June 20; and Charles E. Ratliff Dementia Foundation to use J.P. Cain Stadium for a 5K/Fun Run on April 27, 2013
- Approved summer school classes at Hartselle Junior High School for Math and English on June 3-28; and, Hartselle High School to have Driver’s Education classes from May 28 through the end of June.
- Approved that Hartselle City Schools adopt the entire State Adopted Textbook list for English Language Arts
- .Approved giving the Hartselle High School Principal permission to authorize the rental of the high school facilities, scheduling the events, collecting, and overseeing the funds collected for rentals.
- Approved the request from Kimberly Smith, first grade teacher at Crestline Elementary School, for unpaid Family Medical Leave
- Approved the resignations of Beth Emerson, Central Office Bookkeeper, Kaye Clemons (retire), secretary at Hartselle Junior High School, Becky Wallace (retire), Title I Reading teacher at Crestline Elementary, Jeanie (Mitsie) Whitley (retire), Reading teacher at Hartselle Junior High School, Christy Paulos, Counselor at Hartselle Junior High School, Candy Orr, Physical Education teacher at Crestline Elementary School.
- Approved the transfer Cathy Burnham, secretary at Hartselle High School, from an eleven-month employee to a ten-month employee.
- Approved the employment of Tasha McKee to teacher summer school classes at Hartselle Junior High School