Burks wins 3 titles in trackPublished 11:26am Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Quanesha Burks ended her illustrious Hartselle career winning three state championships out of her four events at the Class 4A-6A AHSAA Track and Field Meet in Gulf Shores.
Burks started her run by winning the long jump with an effort of 19-2, missing the state record by just 0.25 inches.
She followed it up with a triple jump championship. Her effort of 39-10 was nearly two feet better than second place.
Burks then won her second consecutive 100-meter championship with a run of 12.74 in a stiff wind. She also finished third in the 200 meters in a tight race between first place Brianna Sims from Ramsey and second place finisher Amanda Dean from Mortimer Jordan.
Overall, Hartselle’s girls finished sixth, scoring 44.5 points.
Other top finishers for Hartselle’s girls included the following:
• Taylor Barnett took seventh place in the 3,200 meters.
• Billie Shelton qualified ninth in the 100-meter hurdles but just missed qualifying for the finals.
• The 4x800m relay took sixth place with a time of 10:40.49.
• Kelsey Rae Walling tied for sixth in the girls pole vault with a jump of 8-6.
• Megan Zuck was eighth in the 5A triple jump and ninth in the long jump.
• Callie Partlow finished ninth in the javelin throw with a 97-3 effort.
On the boys side, Hartselle finished 24th overall. James Glenn had a fifth place finish in the boys discus throw, with an effort of 128-5. The boys 4×400 relay finished seventh with a time of 3:34.17.