_DSC1636

Archived Story

Washing machine fire prompts BBES evacuation

Published 12:00pm Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Smoke from a burned out washing machine motor triggered a fire alarm at Barkley Bridge Elementary School this morning and resulted in an evacuation of staff and students for about 15 minutes.

Hartselle Fire & Rescue was called to the school at 10:19 a.m. They found smoke coming from a utility room adjacent to the cafeteria, according to Lt. Lee Hemming.

“The motor of a washing machine burned out and caused some smoke and an odor,” Hemming said. “We responded with an engine company and a ladder truck. That’s normal procedure anytime we‘re called to a structure fire.”

The faculty and students evacuated from the building in an orderly manner and waited on the north side of the campus an all-clear signal was given.

“The evacuation process went according to plan,” said Hartselle Schools Superintendent Dr. Mike Reed. “It was a good learning experience for both the staff and kids. Some odor was left behind but other than that nothing was done to prevent classes from resuming, including the use of the cafeteria.

 

Editor's Picks