Smith, Glover selected for new HJHS principal, CSFOPublished 3:56pm Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Hartselle City Schools has now filled all of the positions in its leadership team.
The Hartselle Board of Education hired Dr. Robbie Smith to fill the vacancy at Hartselle Junior High School. The board also chose to enter into contract negotiations with Maria Price Glover to be the system’s new chief school financial officer.
Smith is an Arab native and is currently principal at Discovery Middle School in Madison. School Superintendent Vic Wilson said Smith’s contract would begin Aug. 1, 2013.
“Hartselle is home and this is a great opportunity,” said Smith, who attended Monday’s board meeting. “I love middle school kids, and this is the right time to come home.”
Smith resides in Hartselle with her husband Mike and daughter Maggie, who will be a sixth grader at Hartselle Intermediate School this fall.
Sabrina Buettner, who currently serves as assistant principal at Hartselle Junior High and was a finalist for the HJHS principal’s position, requested that her name be withdrawn as a candidate for the principal’s position after the interview process. She will continue to serve in her current role at the school.
Smith will be taking the place of Don Pouncey, who is retiring at the end of the month.
Glover, a Selma native, currently serves as CSFO of Fairfield City Schools in Jefferson County.
Board member Randy Sparkman nominated Glover for the CSFO position, with Monty Vest providing the second to the motion. Glover’s recommendation was approved unanimously.
Glover is replacing Sarita Tapscott, who left to become the CSFO of the newly formed Alabaster school district in Shelby County. In the interim, the board has used the services of Lisa McMurray from Finatra Inc. in Athens to handle the system’s finance needs.
The board also approved LeeAnne Pettey as special education coordinator, replacing Jamie Roden. Pettey is currently serving as transition administrator of secondary schools for the system.
In other business, the board:
• Authorized the issuance of the board capital outlay pool warrant, series 2013, as it relates to the Alabama Public School and College Authority Bond Pool Loan (BRAC).
• Adopted the following textbooks to be used at Hartselle High School: pre-engineering – Glenco/McGraw Hill and cultural landscapes – Prentice Hall.
• Approved bids for the 2013-2014 school year for the following: bread and bakery products awarded to Flowers Bakery Company in Birmingham, milk awarded to Purity Dairy in Madison and dish machine products awarded to Central Paper Company, Inc., in Birmingham.
• Granted the request to dispose of textbooks no longer used in the classroom at Barkley Bridge Elementary.
• Approved a $14,990 quote from Traditions Fence Company in Hartselle to install new fencing at the Hartselle Junior High School campus (Sparkman Street) to improve campus security.
• Approve an $848,704.63 proposal from Dynetics Information Engineering Solutions in Huntsville to install wireless Internet and voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) system for Hartselle City Schools.
• Approved the student accident insurance program to remain with Guarantee Life for the 2013-2014 school year.