Archived Story

FHS rallies to defeat Meek

Published 2:06pm Monday, September 23, 2013

Lauren Estes
Special to the Enquirer

MEEK – Hunter Woodall scored a 35-yard touchdown with 1:36 to play to give the Falkville Blue Devils (4-0, 4-0) its only lead of the game in a 27-20 win over the Meek Tigers (1-3, 1-2).

The Blue Devils took over on their own 20-yard line with the game tied, needing a score to avoid overtime. After consecutive offside penalties, Ryan Sullivan connected with Logan Vinson on a 35-yard pass play.

That set up Woodall’s game-winning run, shaking off tacklers on his way to the end zone. Sullivan added his first extra point kick of the night, to provide the winning margin.

Defensive pressure from Zach Garrison and Tyler Roy up front put the Tigers into a fourth-and-long situation with time winding down. Aaron Estes sealed the win with an interception.

Sullivan finished the night 14 of 20 for 133 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

Woodall finished with 116 rushing yards on eight carries and two touchdowns. His first touchdown came on a 48-yard carry with 2:02 left in the first quarter.

Sullivan’s quarterback keeper on the two-point conversion tied the score at 8-8.

That lead was short lived, as Scott Irving returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown 14 seconds later. The Tigers led 14-8 after the two-point try failed.

Meek got on the board with 4:23 to play in the starting period on Seth Hayes’ 19-yard quarterback keeper. Hayes connected with Thomas Heath on the two-point conversion.

FHS was not done in the first quarter and scored 30 seconds later. Bryant Hester had a 28-yard kickoff return to set up the drive.

Sullivan connected with Estes on a 29-yard completion plus a horse collar penalty. Sullivan’s touchdown pass went Austin Kritner from seven yards out to tie the game once again.

With 2:14 to play in the third quarter, Hayes connected with Irving on a 30-yard pass play, making Meek’s new lead 20-14.

A seven play that continued into the fourth enabled the next Blue Devils to knot the score again. Vinson’s 27-yard pass catch set up Sullivan’s score on a 32-yard keeper. After a failed two-point conversion, the game was tied 20-20 with 10:54 to play in the game.

Sullivan managed seven carries for 63 yards and one touchdown.

Shawn Mears led the team in tackles with seven. Kritner pulled down four receptions. Vinson finished with three grabs for 63 yards.

FHS will host Sumition Christian at Burl Vest Stadium on Friday.


Editor's Picks