Morgan BOE approves school projects budgetsPublished 12:43pm Monday, October 14, 2013
Morgan County Board of Education approved budgets for four school construction projects totaling an estimated $7.2 million at a regular meeting on Oct. 10.
The move was made following a work session presentation by Gary Owen Jr., vice president of architecture for Goodwin, Mills & Cawood.
The projects are listed as follows:
•West Morgan Elementary School six-classroom addition, estimated cost $1.5 million, estimated completion August 2014.
•Danville High School administrative addition, estimated cost $600,000, estimated completion, August 2014.
•Brewer High School athletic facility, estimated cost $2.5 million, estimated completion August 2014.
•Falkville High School renovation and addition, estimated cost $2.4 million, estimated completion August 2015.
Shane Bagwell, construction manager for Volkert Inc. gave an update the new Priceville High School project.
He said site preparation was completed on Oct. 7, one day ahead of schedule, construction documents are scheduled for completion at the end of October and the project is expected to be put out for bids in November.
He added that Northeast Morgan County Water Authority is installing a 12-inch water main on River Road and will install an eight-inch water main from River Road the school site, including a fire hydrant, at no cost to the school system.
The board discussed conducting a groundbreaking ceremony on the school site in November.
The board acted on other matters as follows:
• Allowed 50 sixth through eighth grade Union Hill students to travel to Washington, D.C. in March 2014.
• Allowed two sixth grade students, who were selected as All-American Cheerleaders, and chaperones from Lacey’s Spring School to travel to Walt Disney World, Orlando, Fla., Nov. 25-29 to participate in the UCA Thanksgiving Tour.
• Allowed 100 band members from West Morgan High School to travel to Disney World, Orlando, Fla., March 16-21, 2014, to perform at Disney World’s ”Magic Music Days.”
• Allowed 127 third grade students from Priceville Elementary School to travel to the Chattanooga Aquarium in Chattanooga, Tenn., April 4, 2014.
• Revised the out of state field trip request from Brewer High School for 30 Spanish Club students to travel to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tenn., Nov. 16, 2013.
• Allowed 80 Cotaco eighth graders to travel to Atlanta, Ga., Nov. 22 to visit the Georgia Aquarium, CNN Studios and the World of Coca-Cola.
•Approved Tom Rankin’s contract to provide tutoring services at Lacey’s Spring School, effective Sept. 16 through Dec. 13.
•Approved Kathy Stults’ contract to provide after school and/or summer tutoring services for Morgan County Schools, effective Sept. 16 through Sept. 30, 2014.
•Approved Dr. Summer R. Doucet’s contract to provide professional learning services for common core best practices at Brewer High School, effective Sept. 26-27.
•Approved Silvia Michel’s contract to provide translating and interpreting services on an as-needed basis for Morgan County Schools, effective Sept. 16 through Sept. 30, 2014.
•Approved Teresa White’s contract as a special education aide, not to exceed three hours per day, at Falkville Elementary School, effective Oct. 11 through May 29, 2014.
•Approved right-of-way easement to Cullman Electric Co-Op at the former Ryan School to install and maintain electrical service to the Morgan County Emergency Management Agency’s warning siren.
•Approved an agreement with GBW Architects for design work on a new athletic complex at Brewer High School.
•Approved Title I Part A of the Morgan County Schools LEA Plan and the LEA Parental Involvement Plan.
•Approved Patricia Kobbs’ contract to provide tutoring services to eligible Title I students, effective Oct. 11 through May 30, 2014.
•Approved contracts with Aleyda Schwaiger, Monica Myrick Laura Hernandez for translating and interpreting services, effective Oct. 3 on Parenting Day.
Superintendent Hopkins recommended and the board approved personnel changes, as follows:
•Accepted the resignation of Cotaco bus driver Christie L. Clark.
•Approved contracts with the following Morgan County Board of Education employees to provide after school and/or summer tutoring services for Morgan County Schools: Jeb Baeder, Suzanne Cherry, Janet Fields, Kristi Landers and Sandy Schofield.
• Approved Brooke Hudson’s contract to provide tutoring services for Morgan County Schools.
• Hired Mahaley N. Whisante as a full-time pre-school aide at Cotaco School. She is replacing Mandy Burks who resigned.
• Approved a within school reassignment of Ron Smith from 9-12 history to 9-12 P.E. at Brewer High School.
• Approved supplemental contracts for the following employees at Brewer: Phillip Robinson, assistant football coach; Kathy Campbell, assistant band, speech and drama (shared); Jennelle Yancey, speech and drama (shared) and choir; and Patrick Dailey, assistant band director.
• Approved an employee supplement for Edward L. Willis as deputy superintendent at the central office.
• Transferred Miranda Henry form half-time CNP to full-time at Cotaco School. She is replacing Shirley Speegle who transferred.
• Approved Jeff Winsett as head football coach (7 and 8) at West Morgan Middle School. He is a non-staff coach and will be accompanied by certified personnel while interacting with students.
• Accepted the resignation of Dianna Fortenberry as a school nurse at Priceville Elementary School.
• Continued salary in lieu of sick leave for Jennifer Prince, CNP worker at Union Hill School, effective for one-half day Sept. 25. She was injured on the job.
• Hired Kim Carpenter as an SPE teacher at Pricevlle Junior High School. She is replacing Vicki Puckett who transferred.
• Accepted the resignation of Sparkman bus driver Mike Morgan.
• Promoted of Darlene Jewellson to CNP manager at Sparkman School. She is replacing Glenna Winton who retired.
• Approved a medical leave request from Sovonna Brown, effective Sept. 10-30.
• Hired Jeremy Shaddix as a full-time bus driver at Cotaco School. He is replacing Shelly Adams who resigned.
• Hired Preston Potter as a special education aide at Brewer High School. He is replacing Amy Lemons who was promoted.
• Approved Josh Turrentine as head football coach (7 and 8) at Eva School, effective for the 2013-2014 school year. He is a non-staff coach and will be accompanied by certified personnel when interacting with students.
•Approved Letha Smith’s contract to provide after school services at Falkville Elementary School.