Cody Steele of West Point pops balloons with a .45 caliber pistol in a mounted balloon shooting demonstration at the No Fences Cowboy Church Rodeo on Saturday. | Clif Knight
Cody Steele of West Point pops balloons with a .45 caliber pistol in a mounted balloon shooting demonstration at the No Fences Cowboy Church Rodeo on Saturday. | Clif Knight

Archived Story

Church-sponsored rodeo draws crowd of over 600

Published 12:41pm Monday, October 21, 2013

Clif Knight
Hartselle Enquirer

An inaugural Western Heritage Day and Ranch Rodeo, sponsored by No Fences Cowboy Church of Falkville, attracted a crowd of more than 600 on Saturday.

The free event was staged at the Morgan County Mounted Posse Grounds, north of Hartselle, on Saturday and Sunday.

“This event was in planning for about four months,” said No Fences Cowboy Church pastor Josh Sparkman. “We wanted to give the people something free and fun to do and have the opportunity to share the gospel with them at the same time.”

Featured activities included a complimentary breakfast and lunch on Saturday, live country and western entertainment, cattle branding, horse shoeing, cattle dog and trick shooting demonstrations.

Rodeo events were featured on Saturday and Sunday with 10 teams of five members participating. Each team put up $700 to enter and the winning team shared 60 percent of the prize money. The other 40 percent was divided among individual event winners.

Throughout both days children were treated to horseback rides, hayrides and face painting.

“We fed over 400 people with biscuits we baked on an open fire this morning,” he added.

No Fences Cowboy Church is located on Hwy. 55 in Falkvlle in the Summerford Cattle Sales Barn. It was established two years ago and has about 200 members.

“We’re happy with our first rodeo,” Sparkman said. “We plan to hold it every year and look forward to it getting bigger and better.

Even though the rodeo was free, donations were accepted at the gate for the Morgan County Cancer Awareness Fund. About $3,000 was donated.

Editor's Picks