Falkville approves bid for town hall expansionPublished 12:06pm Thursday, January 9, 2014
Falkville Town Council approved a low bid of $244,727 from ReidCo General Contracting of Vinemont for the renovation and expansion of the Town Hall building at its regular meeting Tuesday night.
Four contractors submitted quotes for the project in early December with ReidCo coming in $25,951 under the next low bidder.
Mayor Bob Ramey said site work for the 21,000-square foot addition would be done by Morgan County District 3 equipment and personnel. A separate contract will be awarded for the installation of wiring for computer and surveillance equipment.
“Commissioner Don Stisher has told me they’ll start with site work as soon as weather permits,” said Ramey. “After the courtroom and meeting hall is turned over to the contractor for renovation, we’ll have to schedule council meetings at another location for one or two meetings.”
The project involves adding a new courtroom and council chamber with restrooms, and the renovation of the existing courtroom for police department use.
The project will be financed with the town’s court fund and general fund.
The council acted on other matters as follows:
• Repealed the existing Southern Standard Building Code and replaced it with the 2012 version as it applies to the regulation and control of materials, erection, installation, alteration, additions to, use or maintenance, condemnation and demolition of all applicable structures and real property located within the town limits.
The vote followed a public hearing at which time no one in the audience offered comments.
• Authorized the mayor to enter into a contract with Falkville Library Board for the maintenance and upkeep of Falkville Cemetery at a cost of $500 per month, effective April 1, 2014, to March 31, 2015.
• Approved training for town employees as follows: Town Clerk Dawn Estes to attend clerk’s conferences in Tuscaloosa Feb. 19-21 and Aug. 27-29, 2014, for $235 registration each conference plus lodging and other expenses; Chief Chris Free and another police officer to attend a chief’s conference in Huntsville Jan. 28, 2014, for $200 and $250 registration, respectively; and Jill Walling to attend a water maintenance class in Montgomery March 23-26, 2014, for approximately $400 registration plus lodging and other expenses.
• Authorized the mayor to enter into a three-year contract with the Morgan County Commission and its acting agent, Sheriff Ana Franklin, to provide space and services at the Morgan County Jail for the town’s inmates
• Approved a memorandum of understanding with Morgan County Schools to provide a School Resource Officer (SRO) for Falkville Schools for one year.
• Authorized the mayor to contract with Phoenix Services Inc. (Roto Rooter) of Decatur to pump two lift stations once every three months routinely for $375, effective for one year.
• Established a registration fee of $15 per animal to be paid to the town clerk in accordance with Ordinance No. 2013-06.
• Renamed East Second Street to Grissom Way effective Feb. 1.