Extension office announces summer workshopsPublished 1:06pm Wednesday, May 7, 2014
The Morgan County Extension Office has announced its youth workshop schedule for summer 2014.
Here are events planned for this summer:
• Educational Farm Tour will be Tues., June 3, from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Bus, lunch and snack will be provided. The workshop is free. For more information or to register, contact Summer Stidham at 256-773-6541, Ext 102.
• A Dutch oven cooking class will be June 12 from 9 a.m. to noon at the pavilion in Sparkman Park. Learn to cook outdoors on an open fire. You will cook your lunch and a dessert with Dutch oven chef Jody Wynn. The class fee is $5 and the registration deadline is June 5.
• A shooting sports class, teaching basic shotgun training and safety, will be June 17 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Hartselle Gun Club in Florette. The class is for ages 9-19 only. There is no charge for this class. Deadline to register is June 10.
• A canoeing and Water Works tour will be June 19 beginning at 9 a.m. at the Flint River Water Works area, 5514 US Highway 31 S. in Hartselle. Have you ever wondered about the waterway system in Morgan County? What kind of animals and people live on it? Have you ever wanted to canoe in the Tennessee River tributaries? Well this is the summer program for you. Learn about the area and take a tour of the Water Works building. We will then eat lunch. (Please bring your own lunch.) Afterward, the group will canoe up and back on the Flint Creek. Cost is $15 and the registration deadline is June 12.
• The Wetland Explorers class will be June 24 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Flint Creek Wetland Mitigation Bank. Participants will learn about wetland ecology, using a compass, gardening, and making a take home craft. The class will meet at the Morgan County Agriculture Services Building. The class is for ages 7-13. Registration is $10 and includes includes craft, lunch and a snack. Participants will need to wear old clothes, boots or tennis shoes, bug spray and sunscreen. Contact Summer Stidham at 256-773-6541 ext. 102 to sign up by June 10.
• A basic dog obedience class will be June 25 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at Sparkman Park. A participant will need one dog that is up to date on their rabies and distemper shots (please bring records), a leash and a collar for the dog. There is no fee for this class. Registration deadline is June 18. Call the Morgan County Extension Office at 256-773-2549 to register.
• A cake decorating workshop will be July 16 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Morgan County Extension Office. You will learn basic cake decorating using your own imagination and go home with a beautiful cake that was decorated by you. Cost is $10. Lunch is provided. Registration deadline is June 25.
• A Girl Power workshop will be July 22 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Sparkman Civic Center. This is a class will cover proper etiquette, dressing and a healthy self-esteem. There is no charge for this class. Registration deadline is July 15.
• Babysitting 101 will be Aug. 5 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Sparkman Civic Center. Learn the basics of Babysitting, diaper changing, feeding, games to play with children and what to do in an emergency. This is not a Red Cross certification class. There is no fee for this class. Registration deadline is July 30.
If you are interested in a workshop, please contact Sharon Fisher or Kenneth Gamble in the Morgan County Extension Office at 256-773-2549.