Priceville pays match for bridge replacementPublished 12:19pm Wednesday, June 18, 2014
The Priceville Town Council will pay $46,222 to the Alabama Department of Transportation as a 20 percent local match on the replacement of a bridge on Cave Springs Road.
In a separate but relate matter during Monday’s meeting, Mayor Melvin Duran was authorized to sign a letter with ALDOT concurring in the award of the project to Miller & Miller of Huntsville as low bidder.
“We had thought earlier that the bridge project would cost a lot more,” said Duran. “I was pleased to learn that the project received a favorable bid and Miller & Miller is going to be the contractor.”
City engineer Sonny Wright said Miller & Miller’s bid was $200,916.25.
The bridge is located just east of Priceville Elementary School and will necessitate rerouting traffic while construction is underway.
“We had hoped the work could be done while school was out of session,” Wright said. “I don’t know at this point if that will be possible.”
The council acted on other matters as follows:
• Paid bills totaling $81,435.30 for the month of May.
• Approved travel and other expenses for Duran and Councilman Tommy Perry to attend an Alabama League of Municipalities meeting in Montgomery July 17.
• Accepted a $1,900 bid from Fence to install a 314-foot privacy fence at the Morgan County Veterans Memorial Park.
• Purchased book drop return and carts for the new library location approved up to $10,000.
• Approved $8,479.20 to Garnett Lawn Equipment for the purchase of a Gravely zero-turn mower.
• Approved an agreement with Greg Fender of Local Government Service to review the town’s franchise agreements with private service providers.
• Paid $100 and other expenses for town officials to attend CMO Session 43 on June 28 or July 12.
• Purchased an Acer computer monitor for $174.98.
• Rented seven routers for town hall and the senior center for $7 per router per month.
• Approved travel and other expenses for Duran, Perry and Councilman Don Livingston to attend an Alabama League of Municipalities TPSC committee meeting in Montgomery on July 31.
• Approved travel and other expenses for Councilman Charles Black to attend the FAIR Committee meeting in Montgomery on June `17
• Adopted Legislature Act 2014-429 to grant a one-time lump sum payment to retired members and beneficiaries of the deceased retiree who retired before Oct. 1, 2013, and are entitled to receive a monthly retirement.
• Paid $50 to IIMC for an application toward a CMC designation for Connie Childers.
• Paid $300 to the Regional Organized Crime Information Center for its service fee.
• Approved travel and other expenses for Police Chief Billy Peebles and Cpl. Herman Davis to attend the understanding and making the best force decisions seminar in Auburn.
• Approved $40 for membership to the National Tactical Officer Association.
• Approved $278.94 per officer or $1,394.70 total as a summer uniform allowance for police officer.
• Approved up to $100 for the purchase of spit socks for the police department.
• Approved $750 to Ed Smith Office Machines for a one-year service agreement for the Police Department’s color copier.
• Approved an estimated cost of $5,000 to purchase and install five streetlights in Churchill Downs, Phase II.
• Approved $20,000 for the replacement of concrete driveway and service apron at Fire Station #1.