Morgan County BOE rehires 11, fills 6 new jobsPublished 1:02pm Friday, July 11, 2014
Morgan County Board of Education approved the re-employment of 11 personnel and filled six new positions at its monthly meeting Thursday night. Approval was also granted on 55 other personnel items.
Re-employed were two certified teachers, two teacher aides, two lunchroom workers, two bus drivers and three bus aides.
New hires were approved for a countywide certified TAG teacher, a certified special education teacher, a certified EL teacher, a facilities/maintenance coordinator, an EL clerical aide and a bus driver.
“I’m very excited about where we’re at with our personnel,” said Superintendent Bill Hopkins Jr. “We’ve added a couple of teaching positions based on enrollment growth and will be adding two Pre-K classes and a Head Start class this year.
“Our central office administrators have done an excellent job of handling our personnel needs and putting us in a position to get off to a good start in the new school year,” he added.
A monthly progress report prepared by Volkert Inc. shows that the Priceville High School project is 20 percent. Four days were granted to the general contractor due to inclement weather in June. Work in progress includes the pouring and finishing of concrete slabs, wall erection and electrical and plumbing fixtures.
The six-classroom addition at West Morgan Elementary School is 83 percent complete. The final state inspection is scheduled for July 29.
The administrative office addition at Danville High School is 80 percent complete and the final state inspection is scheduled for July 28.
The bid date for the Brewer High School Athletic Facility is July 24.
The board acted on other matters as follows:
• Approved a $12,000 yearly supplement for deputy superintendent Lee Willis.
• Approved 2014-2015 handbooks for students and employees.
• Approved payment of $150 to Alabama Association of School Boards Legal Assistant Fund as an assessment for fiscal year 2014-2015.
• Approved payment of $12,500 to the Alabama Association of School Boards for 2014-2015 membership dues.
• Approved a youth basketball camp at Danville High School July 21-23.
The board approved personnel items on a recommendation from the superintendent as follows:
• Approved the re-employment of the following personnel: Hershel L. Harvey and Vicki Shedd, both as countywide bus aides; Elizabeth Grantland as CNP worker at Sparkman School; Amy Luker as CNP worker at Falkville High; Christina Steele as a certified special education teacher at Falkville High; Meredith Eubanks as a certified second grade teacher at Priceville Elementary; Tiffany Bumgart as a CNP worker at Danville High; Lindsey Humphries, as a bus aide at Cotaco; Mashaley Whisante as a full-time pre-school aide at Cotaco; Aliana Raper as pre-school teacher assistant at Lacey’s Spring; Dustin R. Schofield as special education aide at Brewer-countywide.
• Accepted notices of resignation from the following: Johnetta Turner, countywide speech language pathologist; John Jacobs, certified teacher and head football coach at Danville High; Cindy Hammond, counselor at Brewer High; and Joe Rogers, a countywide bus aide.
• Approved the employment of Jimmy Chenault as a bus driver at West Morgan High.
• Accepted notice of retirement from Jan Kitchens, a kindergarten teacher at Cotaco School.
• Revised the effective hire date of Col. Benny Pokemire as a certified JROTC teacher at Brewer High from July to Aug. 1.
• Approved a contract for services with Kimberley King as summer school teacher at the Morgan County Learning Center June 9-July 15, two days per week, six hours per day.
• Approved a contract for services with Andrew Brock to provide the services of activities as outlined in the Career Technical Education Extended Contract Proposal.
• Approved the employment of Jesse Sexton as a certified science teacher at Danville High. He will be replacing Scott Curd who resigned.
• Approved the employment of Jace Wilemon as a certified sixth grade teacher at Falkville High. He will be replacing Crystal Williams who transferred.
• Approved Ashley Holmes as a certified agriscience teacher at Falkville High. She will be replacing Ethan Luke who was non-renewed.
• Approved the employment of Kasey M. Davis as a certified teacher at Priceville Elementary. She will be replacing Brooke Henson who transferred.
• Approved the employment of Anna L. Spradling as a K-5 teacher at Priceville Elementary. She will be replacing Clarke Beard who transferred.
• Approved the employment of Jessica J. Spencer as a certified Spanish/English teacher at West Morgan High. She is replacing Carolyn McLaughlin who retired.
• Approved the employment of Melissa Johnson as a fourth and fifth grade teacher at Sparkman School. She will be replacing Joe Rogers who transferred.
• Approved the employment of Elizabeth Denard as a clerical aide-EL at West Morgan Elementary.
• Approved the employment of Max C. Parker as a certified TAG countywide teacher.
• Approved the employment of Dylan Thompson as a special education aide at Brewer High. He will be replacing William Weaver who was non-renewed
• Approved the transfer/promotion of Matthew Adams from fifth-eighth-grade counselor at West Morgan Middle School to ninth-12th grade counselor at Brewer High. He will be replacing Cynthia Hammond who resigned.
• Approved the employment of James Charles Rankhorn as a certified science teacher at Brewer High. He will be replacing Mark Edwards who was promoted.
• Approved the employment of Andrew Cay Styles as a certified history teacher at Brewer High. He will be replacing Shannon Black who was non-renewed.
• Approved the employment of Amy Chandler as a certified PE teacher at Brewer High. He will be replacing Terry Leeth who was reassigned.
• Approved the employment of Tammy Stover as a bus driver at Danville High. She will be replacing Linda Millwood who retired.
• Approved the transfer of Stacy Hughes from EL teacher at West Morgan High/Middle to countywide instructional coach. She will be replacing Carrie Holloway who transferred.
• Approved the employment of Donte Minger as a special education aide at Brewer High. He will be replacing Preston Parker who was non-renewed.
• Approved the employment of Lauren E. Lang as a certified special education teacher at West Morgan Elementary.
• Approved the employment of Teresa White as a certified special education teacher at Sparkman School. She will be replacing Kelley Spangler who is being re-assigned.
• Approved the employment of Donald Steve Turney as a bus driver at Priceville Elementary. He will be replacing Greg Clark who was non-renewed.
• Approved the employment of Tracey Collins as a school nurse LPN at Danville Middle. She will be replacing Judy Powers who retired.
• Approved the transfer of Terry Speegle from head custodian at Lacey’s Spring School to maintenance worker at the Central Office. He will be replacing James Wray who retired.
• Approved the employment of Kayla Cox as a certified teacher EL at Danville-Neel (countrywide).
• Approved a leave of absence for Rhonda Booth, a countywide instructional coach, to serve on the ARI regional staff for the 2014-2015 school year.
• Approved the employment of Alison H. Douglas as a bus driver for Danville Middle School (countywide).
• Accepted the resignation of Joel Sandlin, a countywide bus driver.
• Approved the promotion of Kevin Humphries from assistant maintenance foreman to facilities/maintenance coordinator at the central office.
•Approved the employment of Charles E. Holloway as instructional coach at Priceville High School (countrywide). He will be filling in for Rhonda Booth who will be on leave.