Morgan BOE accepts bid for Brewer projectPublished 3:13pm Tuesday, August 5, 2014
E-Tech’s base bid of $1.9 million was accepted Tuesday for the construction of a new athletic facility at Brewer High School.
Action was taken at a called board meeting,
Two other companies submitted bids. They were Boyett Construction for $2.209 million and Joiner Construction for $2.212 million.
Kevin Gunnison, construction manager for Birmingham-based Volkert, Inc., said E-Tech’s bid was $113,620 under the board’s approved construction budget.
Five alternates were included as part of the bid package.
Gunnison said construction would begin in about three weeks and take about seven to eight months to complete.
The old field house has already been razed with the help of District 4 Commissioner Greg Abercrombie. Temporary dressing/locker rooms will be used by the school’s football players during the 2014 season.
The 13,000-square-foot facility will provide accommodations for both boys and girls outdoor sports programs.
The board also approved the employment of Josh LouAllen as a science teacher and head football coach at Danville High School and accepted the resignation of Pat Smith as principal.
LouAllen, an assistant football coach at Austin for three years, follows John Jacobs who resigned unexpectedly a month ago and Scott Curd who resigned at the end of the 2013 season.
Smith left for an assistant principal’s position at Hartselle High School.
Personnel items approved by the board on the recommendation of Superintendent Bill Hopkins Jr. are listed as follows:
• Approved a maternity/FMLA leave for Mallory Alberti, a teacher at Falkville High School, effective Aug. 12 through Sept. 8.
• Accepted the resignation of Steve Turney, AMSTI driver.
• Re-assigned Randy Whitten from part-time to full-time inventory clerk at the central office.
• Approved the employment of Michelle Morris as a certified general science teacher at Priceville High. She is replacing Chad Kelsoe who was promoted.
• Accepted the resignation of Duane Doss, lead bus driver at Falkville High.
• Re-assigned Cheryl Parker from fifth grade reading/ELA teacher to second grade self-contained teacher at Falkville High.
• Re-assigned Linda Grissom from fourth grade science and social studies teacher to fourth grade social studies and ELA teacher and fifth grade ELA and social studies teacher at Falkville High.
• Hired Felecia Wilson as pre-k aide at Sparkman-Countywide.
• Accepted the resignation of Jeff Blair as lead bus driver at West Morgan High.
• Transferred Kimberly Terry from fourth grade teacher at West Morgan Elementary to counselor (nine months) at West Morgan Middle School.
• Transferred Frank Summerford from countywide maintenance director to countywide transportation director.
• Re-assigned Marilyn Turner from elementary special education teacher to kindergarten teacher at Cotaco.
• Hired Lauren Elizabeth Adams as a special education aide at Priceville Elementary.
• Accepted the resignation of Amanda George as bookkeeper at Danville Middle.
• Transferred Kathy Harrity from special education/HS teacher at Brewer to elementary special education teacher at Cotaco.
• Accepted the resignation of Nikki Lowery as custodian at Lacey’s Spring.